straighten a crooked/warped/leaning text block


I’ve got a crooked text block.  It leans and seems to do it pretty strongly.  I’m sure it has a “real” name so I could do a search for it but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.  If you all have any tips I’d be grateful.  Thanks!

    Marked as spam
    User Avatar Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 0)
    Asked on October 27, 2022 10:08 am
    Private answer

    Hmmm, well since Sophia has not had an opportunity to respond yet, I will offer up some thoughts along with caveats regarding credibility. I am a follower of this site, self taught (or at least Sophia taught) and find much of my focus is repairing children's books as a volunteer activity. I have 6+ years experience and much to learn. That said, consider looking for “skewed” or “slanted” spines.

    Starting here, with course 2-205 addressing your topic. It is difficult to see from the attached photo if indeed the book is intact, meaning still in the case. If it is, the 2-205 course takes a fairly extensive approach that will involve some patience or previous repair skills. If you are NOT experienced with book repair and looking for a “quick fix”, YouTube might be a path to consider.

    Another approach might be to consider topics in Reddit.

    Generally speaking I personally would get the text block out of the case, clean off the spine to exposed signatures, then reline the spine with glue/material that will hold the text block in the position you want....perhaps with benefit of a press or large pile of books....for a while.

    Good luck.

    Marked as spam
    User Avatar Posted by (Questions: 42, Answers: 28)
    Answered on November 2, 2022 7:16 pm