few questions regarding a bible repair

0

​I\’m working up to a repair of this Bible and I think I have an idea of how to go about, but I\’m torn between two methods. A for the book itself:  the textblock has completely separated from the mull and there\’s not even glue attached to the textblock anymore. I\’m not even sure if that\’s glue on the mull there as it doesn\’t feel like the glue I\’ve touched before/during removal. Some of the front index pages have come loose and need to be reattached. They are not super frayed thankfully but will probably need to be cut straight to be reattached. The outside of the Bible is in great condition and nothing there needs to be done really. The front pages are still firmly attached to the casing and I would rather not remove them if possible, which is what makes this tricky for me.

I see a few options. The main problem is that the spine area is very tight and does not have a lot of wiggle room for additions. I\’ve considered just gluing the textblock back in the mull area, perhaps reinforcing it first by laying down archival paper or muslin as you suggested in a video for wide text blocks, and this certainly fits the bill, and tipping the loose index pages back in, or making a signature for them and sewing it to the mull just a bit to make it more solid. I saw your advice about threads from a previous thread and ordered a sample and think I found a good thread for this bible. I can\’t quite detect sewing here either, so if that\’s a few clues, I\’d appreciate it if you could share them with me. I think I may see a few tight, tiny threads in the front pages that are still attached, but as for the textblock, I\’m not really seeing anything.

  That would probably not be for the best though because it might not be strong enough. I\’m not entirely sure if that is glue stuck to the inner spine, but while it is in good shape and is even reinforced on the other side and the hollow is intact, I\’m not sure if it will be strong enough to stay long term if I made this choice.

The other option seems to be to remove all the rest of the textblock, take out the mull and reinforcing, and just redo everything there. I do recall a video where you left the endpages in, but I think that was the advanced bible repair video you made. The endpages are very well attached, and the paste down and fly leaf are of the same paper, and then the first perhaps signature which are thick, glossy sheets for maps, etc. I am not seeing any clear path from the last of the pages to get a knife under there and get underneath the pastedown. Perhaps there would be if I took the mull out.

I\’d appreciate your advice on this project. I hope I am describing it adequately between my words and the pictures. Thanks so much!

Attachments:
    Marked as spam
    Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
    Asked on April 24, 2021 8:12 pm
    6 views
    Private answer

    Great questions. First, remove that weird old yellow adhesive. That will give you room to create a hollow for the text-spine. You may be able to lift the paste-downs to tuck new mull in. You may want to treat the text like a broken paperback and cut in some cords to help strengthen it. This whole thing is like a paperback repair re-cased into a Bible cover. I believe it will work!

    Marked as spam
    Posted by (Questions: 0, Answers: 158)
    Answered on April 25, 2021 9:41 am
      Private answer

      Ah, that is what I forgot to mention. There is a completely intact hollow behind the yellow adhesive and reinforced mull. It seems like what is wrong with this bible is just that it had bad or ineffective adhesive used for way, way too many pages. The textblock is really massive. I didn't think of cords for some reason, but that is a very good idea, and treating it like a paperback in a bible really helps me think of it in a new way. I am curious if knowing that the mull and hollow are intact, for the most part, changes the repair, since I am not sure I communicated that properly.

      Marked as spam
      Posted by (Questions: 1, Answers: 1)
      Answered on April 25, 2021 12:52 pm