4-301: New Leather Spines for Books with Red Rot ~ $39.99
How to Create New Leather Spines for Books with Red Rot
This Course is not for beginners. Creating new leather spines requires tools and materials from the Basic Book Repair Kit, Level One Tools and Materials and everything in the Level Four Tools and Materials List. See Course 1-202. Paring the leather is an advanced technique especially because it is hard to keep the knife sharp. If you want to know more about knives and knife sharpening go to www.jeffpeachey.com. Suggested prerequisites are basically all leather courses and take a class in real life to practice leather work.
- Type of Book: Quarter goatskin leather, case-bound, with paper sides
- This Particular Book: Set of rare books written in German.
- Issue: Spines are past saving, destroyed with red rot.
- Treatment: New facsimile leather spines
- 80 Minutes of Video
- PERPETUAL CAVEAT: Never repair rare and/or scarce books. When in doubt only do preservation treatments and consult an accredited professional.
- Leather Paring
- Stamping the new titles
- Text-block strengthening
- Attaching the new leather spine
- Lectures 3
- Quizzes 0
- Students 110
- Assessments Yes