2-201: Re-Case a Book in 7 Lessons ~ $77.00
How to Re-Case a Book in 7 Lessons
This course gives you all the steps to re-case a book from beginning to end. It begins with taking the book apart and ends with re-casing. There are many video links embedded within the text. Follow along and watch all the videos or only the ones that you need for further clarification. Read through all the steps before beginning treatment. Make sure you are familiar with the Book Repair Guidelines, Book Anatomy and General Book Repair Terminology and any other Foundations Courses you may need. Re-Casing is different than Re-backing because it does not create a new spine for the book but rather, re-uses the intact cover that is carefully removed, strengthened and then replaced.
Re-casing only works if the cover is intact enough not to need a new spine.
- Type of Book: Book-cloth, French joint, Case-bound, Plain/Colored end-sheets (not illustrated), End-sheets are integral to the last signature rather than tipped on.
- Issue: Weak and torn outer joints especially at the head and tail and one broken inner hinge.
- Treatment: Strengthen and Re-case. Aesthetics optional.
- Approximately 4 Hours of Videos
- PERPETUAL CAVEAT: Never repair rare and/or scarce books. When in doubt only do preservation treatments and consult an accredited professional. For more information be sure to take the Book Repair Foundations 101 Philosophy course first to avoid making costly mistakes. It’s Free!
- Clean the Cover
- Separate the Text-block from the Cover
- Deconstruct the Cover
- Reconstruct the Cover
- Deconstruct the Text-block
- Reconstruct the Text-block
- Re-casing the Book
You will be able to re-case a book-cloth book with the contents of the Basic Book Repair Kit plus a few other common tools and materials listed in LEVEL ONE on the Tools and Materials List. If you don’t have a kit, that’s ok, just check out Book Repair Foundations 1-202 Tools and Materials so you can see which tools and materials you need.
- Lectures 7
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 79
- Assessments Yes
Re-casing a Book in 7 Steps
- 2-201: First Step: Clean the Cover
- 2-201: Second Step: Separate the Text-block from the Cover:
- 2-201: Third Step: Deconstruct the Cover
- 2-201: Fourth Step: Reconstruct the Cover
- 2-201: Fifth Step: Deconstruct the Text-block
- 2-201: Sixth Step: Reconstruct the Text-block
- 2-201: Seventh Step: Re-casing the Book