2-114b: Repair Loose Sewing ~ $14.99
How to Repair Loose Sewing
How to repair loose sewing in a book that is already out of its cover. This procedure is most useful when the text-block is separated from the text-spine liners and the signatures and most of the sewing is intact.
- Type of Book: Case-bound, Sewn through the fold
- This Particular Book: The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
- Issue: The Sewing is loose and only broken in a couple of places
- Treatment: Sewing repair
- Step by step Instructions
- 17 Minutes of Video
- PERPETUAL CAVEAT: Never repair rare and/or scarce books. When in doubt only do preservation treatments and consult an accredited professional.
Tools and Materials:
- Needle with a big eye
- Linen thread
- Bees wax
- PVA and brush
- Lectures 1
- Quizzes 0
- Students 101
- Assessments Yes
2-114b: Repair Loose Sewing
I had a book with rather loose signatures in need of re-casing. I found a loose signature which had apparently never been sewn in as there were no holes. I was able to mark where the holes should be and then sew it into place as shown in the video. Before seeing the video, I had contemplated hinging in the signature or tipping it in but this was a far better solution. Thank you, thank you!