I started Save Your Books as the resource I wish existed 25 years ago...
Back then, I worked at Anthony’s Bookshop in Minneapolis MN. I had just left my job at the University of Minnesota’s Library Re-bindery and thought I would try bookselling. It was while working at Anthony’s that I realized that all I wanted to do was fix up the books so they could find good homes.
Since then, I have concentrated on learning everything I could to not only save books physically but also to preserve their value. The resources I found in books and online were either overly technical and assumed you had a bindery full of tools or else they were meant for librarians whose goal is to circulate books a maximum number of times. Save Your Books promotes simple archival book repairs designed from a conservation perspective.
She's an enlightening, inspiring presenter and more than one student has gotten interested in the book restoration field from her talks. If you ever get a chance to hear her, don't miss it.”
- Over 25 years of hands-on experience restoring books
- Founded Save Your Books (formerly Red Branch Restoration) in 2000
- Bench trained in the English tradition
- Diploma in Book Conservation 2009 from the American Academy of Bookbinding
- Events Co-Chair since 2014 for the Northwest Chapter of the G.B.W.
- Board Member of the SOU Friends of the Hannon Library since 2020
- B.A. in English from the University of Minnesota
- Author of Book Restoration Unveiled published May 2019
- Portfolio of many hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of book restorations including first editions of Darwin's Origin of Species, The Kelmscott Chaucer, and The Wonderful Wizard of Oz.
- Mentioned in Prowling Dog: https://www.prowlingdog.com/prowling-dog-cool-things-issue-184/
- Powell’s City of Books June 2019: Portland, OR: Build Your Book Collection (one of 4 speakers from the Cascade Booksellers Association)
- Oregon Books and Games: July 2019: Archival Book Repair
- Magers & Quinn Booksellers: October 2018: Mpls, MN: Be A Book Hero
- Guild of Book Workers at the Seattle School of Visual Concepts: April 2017: Book Repair Basics
- Southern Oregon University: History of Publishing Class
- On Book Restoration
- Practical Book Repair
- Historical Context of Book Restoration and Book Collecting
- Cascade Booksellers Association:
- Identifying Restorations, Sophistications and Outright Frauds
- Book Repair for Book Dealers
- Medford Library: Simple Book Repairs
Sophia in the Media
- Behind the Bookshelves: The AbeBooks podcast, Interview August 16th, 2019
- Rare Book Cafe: Facebook Live, June 29th, 2019
- Literary Ashland Blog: Interview by Ed Battistella, June 1, 2019
- Literary Ashland on KSKQ 89.5: Interview by Ed Battistella, April 26, 2019
- Rare Book Cafe: Live Facebook TV, March 30th, 2019
- Rare Book Cafe: Live Facebook TV, May 12th, 2018
- Literary Ashland Blog: Interview by Ed Battistella, July 29, 2013
- Every June, you can find Sophia at the Rose City Book and Paper Fair in Portland, Oregon.